SHOULD I HIRE MOVERS?-
Moving — it’s one of those things that’s fun once you get settled in your new destination, but stressful when you’re in the midst of it. Deciding how to get your stuff from Point A to Point B can be overwhelming given how many different options you have. One of the most popular choices is self-servicing moving. But what does that mean, and it is right for you? Let’s look at the pros and cons.
What is self-servicing moving?
Self-service moving can be described as the halfway point between hiring movers to do everything and doing everything yourself. When you opt for self-service moving, you pack and unpack the boxes as well as the truck. But a professional drives the truck to your new location. When you opt for self-service moving you’re basically paying for the truck and the driver while you do all the other tasks yourself.
Pros of self-service moving
There are many advantages to choosing self-service moving and it is a popular option for those who want to relocate. The pros of self-service moving include:
- Control over timing — When you choose self-service, you get to control the process of moving as well as the timing. You can decide to try to get the bulk of your packing completed in one day. Or you can spread it out over a couple of weeks or even months. If the idea of completing everything in one day is daunting, then self-service moving can be a good choice.
- Control over packing — A full-service moving company will pack your belongings for you. They assume the liability and will ensure that your items arrive intact. But when you do a self-service move, you will pack your own boxes. You can be as careful or as haphazard as you like.
- Save money — This is perhaps the biggest advantage of choosing a self-service move. It costs less than full-service moving. If you’re on a budget, then this is a good option. Just remember to factor in the cost of supplies like boxes and tape as well as any time off of work you may need to take.
Cons of self-service moving
As with anything in life, there are disadvantages to self-service moving as well. These include:
- Working up a sweat — Packing and unpacking boxes and a moving truck can be pretty taxing. You’re going to work up a sweat. Some boxes may be heavy, so you may also be lifting and carrying heavy items. And let’s not even talk about stairs. If you’re going to move all your items by yourself, make sure you know how to lift heavy items properly so you don’t hurt yourself.
- Dealing with problems — No matter how much you plan, you’re going to encounter some problems along the way. When you choose a self-service move, you’re going to have to troubleshoot those problems yourself. This could include figuring out how to get your extra-long couch around a tight curve, researching where the truck can be parked while you unpack, and setting up your furniture.
Is self-service moving right for you?
If you want more control over your move, hope to save a little money, and are reasonably fit, then self-service moving can be a good option for you. But if you’re willing to spend a little more and don’t want to worry about logistics, then consider hiring a full-service moving company.
To find a home in San Antonio TX, contact Melissa Muse Wiggans, Broker and Owner of Real Estate Muses. Her team of top San Antonio Realtors specialize in residential real estate for those buying and selling homes in San Antonio as well as military families and others moving or relocating to San Antonio, TX. Visit realestatemuses.com or call 210-485-9913 today.