Turn Your Next PCS Into a Real Estate Investment
Since moving every two-three years is part of military life, why not treat it as an investment opportunity? As with any investment, the key to success is learning how to maximize your profit.
5 Tips For Buying & Selling in Joint Base San Antonio
- Know the average number of days on the market for similar home in the neighborhood. Since you don’t know when your next PCS will happen, you don’t want to buy a home in an area that takes 6 months to sell.
- Buy a home near Fort Sam Houston, Lackland AFB or Randolph AFB that appeal to majority of homebuyers. Always consider location and neighborhood. Homes in good school districts are a plus as well as fixer-uppers with quality workmanship. Avoid buying homes in locations where there is high traffic, lots of noise or busy intersections. This can be a turn off for families with children and pets.
- Keep your home in good condition. Since PCS or Deployment orders can come unexpectedly, your home should be ready to sell at any time. If you plan on fixing up the home, do it as early as possible so you can enjoy the home for the time you are there. Invest on improvements in the interior of the home since they will greatly affect the future sale. Stick with neutral interior colors to give buyers an easier time visualizing themselves living in your home. Make necessary repairs regularly and make sure to clean the house before putting it up for sale.
- Plan your landscaping as soon as you move in. Your home’s curb appeal and landscaping will give the first impression of your home to the future buyer, so make sure your landscape is well-maintained, lush, and beautiful. Ask the many San Antonio area garden nurseries about plants native to the area since they are more tolerant of the heat and can save you from high water bills. If possible, try and anticipate the season when your next PCS will take place so you can be plan ahead and ensure nice curb appeal regardless of the season.
- Eliminate clutter in your home and yard like children’s toys or playground sets. Give buyers an expansive view of your lot to help visualize them and their family living in your home.