Finances & PCS
Whether you have orders to PCS to San Antonio now or in the future, it’s good to see that all your finances are in order before your military relocation.
Here are some financial tips to help you and your family during a PCS to JBSA or other military installation:
1. Get on the same page with your spouse, partner and or family members. Talk with your partner or spouse about your family’s finances. This will help prevent any future disputes or financial surprises once PCS orders arrive.
2. Close and/or transfer all accounts. Make a list of all your financial services accounts. Find out which accounts can be transferred versus closed and reopened once you reach your new location. Your PCS can actually be a way for you to shop around for lower rates on financial products such as homeowner’s and car insurance.
3. Settle all your current bills immediately. Before your PCS, make sure you pay all your close-out bills like your utilities (water, electricity, etc). Unpaid bills can damage your credit. Also make sure to provide all your utility providers with a forwarding address for unpaid bills.
4. Compare the value of your current and future BAH allowance. As you create a budget with your expected income and expenses in San Antonio, compare your BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) to determine how much home you could afford.
5. Save your receipts. Keep all your receipts in a file where you won’t lose them. Include your receipts from expenses that do not qualify for reimbursement. These receipts may qualify for tax deductions.
Do You Have a PCS to San Antonio?
Melissa Muse Wiggans, Broker, Realtor and Certified Military Relocation Specialist has a team of agents ready to assist you in your upcoming move to San Antonio, TX. Experienced in VA loans, BAH calculations with mortgage payments and quick timelines they are ready to assist you with your home buying and relocation needs. Visit their website or email or call 210-485-9913.